top of page

Halloween Treats for Doggie? No Way Jose!!

With Halloween just around the corner, it is a good time to talk about hazardous foods, plants, and other substances.  Did you know the Animal Poison Control Centre receives about 200,000 calls per year about potential pet poisonings?  “It is especially important to realize that what humans eat and enjoy may be toxic to pets.” said Jack Walther, former American Veterinary Medical Association president.

So what is poisonous to our animals?


Keep these foods stored safely.  Remember, even plastic containers that lock are not safe against a large dog determined to get at goodies, so having key foods out of reach or in a locked cupboard is safest for those craftier pets!!  We’re also looking at you counter surfers!

  1. Chocolate- the darker the chocolate the more toxic it is

  2. Raisins

  3. Grapes

  4. Avocados

  5. Xylitol- chewing gum, candy, baked goods, peanut butter, sweetener and more can all contain this toxic substance

  6. Bread dough

  7. Alcohol

  8. Raw bones, meat and seafood- salmonella, E. Coli, campylobacter, and listeria may be found in raw food.

  9. Macadamia nuts

  10. Onions, garlic, leaks, chives

  11. Rhubarb leaves

  12. Starfruit

  13. Salt- No salty chips and other salt-rich foods.  Pets will be excessively thirsty, and free access to water after salt ingestion can have lethal consequences.

Plants – this is by no means an exhaustive list.  For a full list click here

  1. Nightshade

  2. Japanese Yews

  3. Lilies

  4. Tulips

  5. English Ivy

  6. Rhododendrons

  7. Marijuana

  8. Poinsettia

  9. Amaryllis


Keep medication out of reach of pets at all times.  This includes prescription medicine, sleeping pills and even vitamins.  According to the ASPCA just one regular strength Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) can trigger stomach ulcers in a 10 pound dog.  Other commonly used medications including Tylenol and other pain relievers, anti-depressants, and diet pills can be lethal.

What are the symptoms of pet poisoning?

Clinical signs of poisoning may vary greatly from extreme excitement to severe depression.  Signs of toxicity can include but are not limited to:

  1. vomiting

  2. Drooling/hypersalivating

  3. Lack of appetite

  4. weakness

  5. tremors

  6. stiffness

  7. high temperature

  8. jaundice

  9. bleeding troubles

If you suspect your pet has been accidentally poisoned, call your vet and ask for emergency treatment advice.  Try to determine what the poison is, and how much your pet has ingested.

If you vet is not available call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center Phone Number: (888) 426-4435.

7 views0 comments


bottom of page